photo swritesss_zpsc25e734e.png

Thursday 29 August 2013

Girls in White Dresses by Jennifer Close

Has anyone else read  Girls in White Dresses? It's about three friends who've just graduated from university (or college, as it's set in the US) and their struggles to find their way in life. I read lots of reviews online saying it was really funny, clever and enjoyable and so, since the topic seemed so relatable, I clicked it into my Amazon basket without a second thought. Here's the blurb:

Isabella, Mary, and Lauren feel like everyone they know is getting married. On Sunday after Sunday, at bridal shower after bridal shower, they coo over toasters, collect ribbons and wrapping paper, eat minuscule sandwiches and cakes. They wear pastel dresses and drink champagne by the case, but amid the celebration these women have their own lives to contend with: Isabella is working a dead-end job, Mary is dating a nice guy with an awful mother, and Lauren is waitressing at a midtown bar and wondering why she's attracted to the sleazy bartender.

With a wry sense of humor, Jennifer Close brings us through those thrilling, bewildering years of early adulthood as she pulls us inside the circle of these friends, perfectly capturing the wild frustrations and soaring joys of modern life.

Now, I don't want to sound like a Moaning Myrtle, but this book didn't really meet my expectations. There were quite a few parts that I could really identify with along with lots of witty observations from Close, which were what really kept me reading. In terms of plot though, it seemed a bit lacking. Not a lot happened and there were lots of similar characters and lives thrown in which made it a little confusing at times. Has anyone read anything else by Jennifer Close? I didn't enjoy this book that much, but I did really like her writing so I might give another novel of hers a try in the future. 

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

0 comments:

Post a Comment